Handles and Hardware

A Glossary to handle terminology 

Handle Types

  • D-Pull - A handle with one or more stems

  • Open Pull - Single stem handle

  • Bar Pull - Stainless rod handle

  • Wire Pull - Simple, thin U-shaped handle

  • Edge Pull - A handle that is mounted to the edge of the door

  • Tab - Similar to edge pull, a thin handle the protudes from the edge of the door

  • Recessed Pull - Handle routered into the door

  • Finger Pull - A recessed hole in which you use your finger to pull

  • Appliance Pull - A large handle for easier opening of large appliances like refrigerators

  • Scoop - A cup handle with an enclosed shell

  • Knob - A single stem pull that can come in a number of shapes and styles

Handleless - For more contemporary styles, handles are replaced with channels, grooves, or touch latch

  • Channel - Usually made of aluminum or wood, doors are open by inserting your hand through a gap, to pull the door itself

  • Groove - A small extrusion is applied along the full length of the door edge

  • Touch Latch - A spring loaded piston is activated when the door is pushed

  • Motorized - A small sensor is located behind the door that activates an electric motor to open and close the door

How to choose?

Often the handle choices for kitchen, bathrooms and many other spaces are overlooked. Its quite often we see projects with questionable handle hardware choices. Here are things to consider,

  • Touch and feel the handles before you buy

  • Ensure there is ample space between the back of the handle and the door. (does it pass the wedding ring test)

  • Function should dictate the size of handles, ie Larger appliance pulls for fridges,

  • Review handle/knob location with designer (check twice, drill once)

  • Coordinate handle finish with other hardware or finish materials

  • You don’t have to pick the same handle for all cabinetry